This war memorial is located in the south-east corner of the churchyard, erected to the memory of 33 local men who fell in the First World War. It was unveiled and dedicated on Sunday 1st August 1920 by Dr Wynne Willson, the Dean of Bristol and chief patron of the living of Olveston.
On the day of the service the church was crowded, with many more stood outside. The front seats were reserved for the relatives of the fallen men. About 100 ex-servicemen under Major C.E. Turner, D.S.O. paraded and attended the service, prior to which the ringers rang a muffled peel.
By kind permission, all of the below information is based on the following source: William Morgan, (2005) The War Memorial Book for the parishes of Olveston and Aust, South Gloucestershire, Tockington Press Ltd for OPHS. Copyright is held by Olveston Parish Historical Society.
Copyright for information and images is held by Olveston Parish Historical Society.
|Addis Frederick||1888||05/04/1918||Royal Berkshire Regiment|
|Alway Frank||1896||25/09/1916||Grenadier Guards|
|Blaker Harold Keith||1911||17/02/1945||Gloucestershire Regiment|
|Bond Arthur George||1896||19/07/1916||Gloucestershire Regiment|
|Bond Frederick J||1885||28/05/1918||Cheshire Regiment|
|Burge Clifford||1890||25/04/1915||Canadian Infantry|
|Chamberlain Eli||09/10/1893||21/08/1917||Machine Gun Corps|
|Clark Albert Edwin Charles||1895||15/07/1916||Middlesex Regiment|
|Close Frank Henry||1891||10/02/2019||Canadian Infantry|
|Dowsell William John||1898||20/09/1917||Royal Hampshire Regiment|
St. Mary the Virgin Church
Olveston BS35 4DR