Thomas Carter

Memorial: Hanham Methodist Church

Regiment: Worcestershire Regiment

Medals: 1914–15 Star, British War Medal, Next of Kin Memorial Plaque 1914 - 1921, Silver War Badge, Victory Medal

Rank and number: Private 260330

Parents: Thomas and Ellen Carter

Marital status: Married

Home address: Home Address: Kingsfield Lane, Hanham, Bristol. Lived: Powis Road, Kingswood, Bristol

Pre-war occupation: Chemist Assistant

Date of birth: 1888

Place of birth: Bitton, Bristol

Date of death: 27/08/1917

Buried/Commemorated at: No known burial site but commemorated at Tyne Cot Memorial, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium, Kingswood Holy Trinity Memorial and Hanham Methodist Memorial

Age: 29

Further information:

Thomas was born in Bitton, the son of a farm labourer and a middle child of twelve with five sisters and six brothers. Thomas worked with Frank Moss a Kingswood Chemist and was a member of the Kingswood Wesleyan bible class. Thomas married Mary Jane Filer, a boot machinist, in 1910 and together they had a daughter Lilian Ann born the following year. One of Thomas’s younger brothers, Gilbert (who had married his wife’s sister in 1915) died just four days after Thomas, as a prisoner of war. Another younger brother, Walter, was wounded fighting overseas.

When Thomas joined up, he served initially in the Hampshires (380943) later transferring to the 2nd/8th Battalion, Worcesters. He joined his regiment in France in June 1917 and fought in the Battle of Langemarck, (16–18 August). Thomas was killed in action just two months after arriving in France but on the day of his death his battalion were not involved in a specific battle, so it is likely that Thomas died during the ongoing trench warfare that accounted for 300 soldier deaths per day throughout the war.

By kind permission, this information is based on the following source(s):

This information has been provided by Sarah Hands, Volunteer Researcher for the South Gloucestershire War Memorials Web Site.
By kind permission, this information is based on the following source(s):
Kingswood Heritage Museum