Warmley - Memorial Gardens - Stanley Road
This war memorial commemorates both WWI and WWII. On 19th January 1919 Siston Parish Council resolved to erect “A memorial to the boys of the parish slain in the war” and Warmley Green was chosen as the site.
The service for unveiling the memorial took place on Saturday 14th August 1920. Lady Goldney performed the unveiling ceremony and the service was completed by a dedication and address from the Archdeacon of Bristol. At the same time the park was declared open as a living memorial to the men who lost their lives. Warmley was allocated a German field gun, to be positioned in front of the memorial but at the beginning of WWII it was taken away to be melted down for the war effort.
By Kind permission, this information is based on the following sources: Siston Parish Council, Bristol Observer and historian Alan Bryant.
|Toghill Herbert James||1892||29/09/1917||Gloucestershire Regiment|
|Toghill Joseph||1897||12/02/1917||Worcestershire Regiment|
|Toghill Thomas Henry||1894||16/08/1917||Gloucestershire Regiment|
|Trubody Abraham||1895||20/10/1917||Royal Warwickshire Regiment|
|Williams Harry||11/07/1914||27/08/1940||Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve|
|Williams Walter||26/07/1889||01/11/1914||Royal Navy|
|Wyatt William Charles||21/08/1915||Gloucestershire Regiment|
Warmley BS15 4ND