Hanham - High Street
This war memorial is located inside the grounds of the memorial garden at the front of Hanham Folk Centre. The Second World War memorial in Hanham is a plaque laid at the foot of a stone memorial which contains the names of the fallen from the First World War. It contains the names of 26 servicemen who died during the Second World War and placed beneath those who perished in the First World War. The actual memorial is a stone Celtic cross mounted on a pillar which contains the names of the fallen from WW1 on the front face. The Second World War memorial lies flat at the foot of the memorial. The railings and gates of the garden also form part of the memorial. Date of dedication: 1924. Originally situated at the junction of Whittucks Road and Hanham High Street. It was moved to the grounds of Hanham Folk Centre in 1957 because of changing traffic conditions. The dedication for the Second World War memorial took place on 14th May 1995 at Hanham Methodist Church.
By kind permission, all of the below information is based on the following source: Hanham Local History Society.
|Allen Ernest William||1897||09/10/1917||Gloucestershire Regiment|
|Amos Henry||1893||14/02/1917||Queens Own Royal West Kent Regiment|
|Andrews Albert Thomas||1893||08/05/1915||South Wales Borderers|
|Ashmead Reginald||1896||05/09/1918||Worcestershire Regiment|
|Ashmead D.C.M. William James||1892||09/10/1917||Gloucestershire Regiment|
|Babb Samuel John||1891||20/09/1917||Wiltshire Regiment|
|Bailey Gilbert James||1886||04/10/1917||Middlesex Regiment|
|Barnes Charles William Henry||1895||26/08/1918||Royal Berkshire Regiment|
|Beake Bert (Bertie)||1897||26/01/1920||Machine Gun Corps|
|Bees Thomas George||1896||21/10/1917||Gloucestershire Regiment|
Hanham Folk Centre
Hanham BS15 3EJ