Dyrham - St Peter's Church
This stone war memorial is located within the grounds of St Peter’s Church.There is also a brass plate within the church.
The Reverend Henry Wynter Blathwayt, Rector of St Peter’s Church, Dyrham regularly wrote to many of the local men, keeping them in touch with home life by sending them newspapers. Some of the transcripts of the replies to these letters, from those that are named on this monument can be seen here. The booklet “Letters to a Country Rector” edited by Peter Liddle and published by Longmans in 1977 can still be found in the Gloucestshire Archives.
With many thanks to Edward Walsh for this information.
|Andrews Alfred William||1889||10/02/1917||Devonshire Regiment|
|Ball William||07/03/1919||04/07/1942||Somerset Light Infantry|
|Ball Christopher George||1890||03/09/1916||Gloucestershire Regiment|
|Blathwayt Henry Wynter||1877||30/11/1917||Royal Field Artillery|
|Ellis Reginald Bertram||1888||01/11/1918||Royal Sussex Regiment|
|Hayter Francis Jack||30/07/1900||28/05/1941||Royal Navy|
|Nash Joseph Charles||1887||05/11/1916||Gloucestershire Regiment|
|Nicholls MM Victor William||1891||19/08/1918||Royal Fusiliers|
|Pitman John||1907||01/10/1943||Royal Armoured Corps|
|Pitman-Butler Peter||05/03/1911||17/07/1940||Queen's Own Hussars|
Dyrham SN14 8ER