Chipping Sodbury Town Cross - Broad Street
There are 18 names from the First World War on the memorial.
Dedicated on 31st March 1920. Unveiled by Colonel Burgess of ‘Bristol’s Own’ Gloucestershire Regiment. There was tea for the children at Penglaze’s cinema after the ceremony which included a service on the memorial steps.
The money for the memorial was raised by public subscription
The structure stands in the middle of the road in Broad Street, it was converted from the old cross dating from the late 14th century. The base is hexagonal with four steps and dates from the 20th century. This is surmounted by a plinth and the medieval cross-shaft and base. The memorial is topped with a cross also dating from the 20th century. The memorial is inscribed with the names of those who fell in the First and Second World Wars.
By kind permission, this information is based on the following source(s): Alison Benton (2014) Remembered with Honour. Sprint Print. Yate
|Tily Leonard Leslie
|Timbrell Arthur Henry Leslie
|Waters Roger Claude Vaughan
|Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
|Wilson Francis Edward (Frank)
|Royal Air Force
|Wynn Wallace William
|Royal Field Artillery
Chipping Sodbury Town Cross
Chipping Sodbury BS37 6DA