All residents should have received their polling cards for the upcoming elections. If you’ve not received yours, check you are registered to vote. It takes just five minutes to apply online at www.gov.uk/register-to-vote. If you have any queries you can call us on 01454 863030. The deadline to register to vote is midnight on Monday 19 April.
Voters have three options for casting their ballot – in person at the polling station, by post or by proxy (i.e. they can appoint someone they trust to vote on their behalf). The deadline to apply for a postal vote is 5pm on 20 April, and for a proxy vote the deadline is 5pm on 27 April.
There are several elections taking place in our area on Thursday 6 May:
* Frenchay and Downend ward for South Gloucestershire Council (one councillor)
* Parish/Town Council by-elections are taking place in the following areas:
- Bradley Stoke Town Council, North Town Ward (one councillor)
- Bradley Stoke Town Council, South Town Ward (one councillor)
- Filton Town Council, Northville Town Ward (one councillor)
- Patchway Town Council, Callicroft Town Ward (one councillor)
- Siston Parish Council, Warmley Parish Ward (one councillor)
* Neighbourhood planning referendum for the Charfield Neighbourhood Plan
* Elections for a West of England Mayor. The Regional Mayor leads the West of England Combined Authority (WECA) which is made up of three of the councils in the region – Bath & North East Somerset, Bristol and South Gloucestershire leading the development of regional business, skills, housing and transport.
* Elections for a Police and Crime Commissioner for the Avon and Somerset Police Area. The Police and Crime Commissioner oversees the local police force and ensures that they are prioritising what matters to the local community. The Avon and Somerset Police Area includes South Gloucestershire Council, Bath & North East Somerset Council, Bristol City Council, Mendip District Council, North Somerset Council, Sedgemoor District Council, Somerset West and Taunton Council, and South Somerset District Council.
For details on all of these elections please see www.southglos.gov.uk/voting
John McCormack, Returning Officer for South Gloucestershire Council, said: “We urge everyone to check they are registered to vote so they can have their say on Thursday 6 May. We are making our polling stations Covid-19 secure; however we recognise many people might be nervous about voting in person and therefore we urge them to take up the postal or proxy vote options.”
For more information on the election of the West of England Mayor please visit www.westofengland-ca.gov.uk/election2021
For more information on the election of the Avon and Somerset Police and Crime Commissioner please visit www.avonpccelection.org.uk