Message from the Chair
This message is from the previous Chair of the Safeguarding Children Board.
Our vision for safeguarding in South Gloucestershire is that children and adults thrive, reach their full potential and live their lives safe from harm (violence, abuse, neglect, exploitation). To achieve this vision we will work together and with local communities to improve outcomes and to ensure South Gloucestershire is a place where safeguarding is everybody’s business.
The South Gloucestershire Safeguarding Children Board (LSCB) is a statutory body established under the Children Act 2004. It is independently chaired and consists of senior representatives of all the principal agencies and organisations working together to safeguard and promote the welfare of children and young people throughout South Gloucestershire.
Its statutory objectives are to:
- Co-ordinate local work undertaken by all agencies and individuals to safeguard and promote the welfare of children and young people.
- Ensure the effectiveness of that work.
South Gloucestershire has adopted the Signs of Safety approach which aims to work with families and manage risk, where children are in need of early help and protection. The implementation of Signs of Safety is fully supported by the South Gloucestershire Safeguarding Children Board. In order to work in a joined up and multi-agency way, Members of the Board have identified what their organisations and practitioners require to assist children’s social care in implementing Signs of Safety.
Our commitment to children and young people living in South Gloucestershire is focussed on:
- Putting the child/young person at the centre of all that we do.
- Clarity about what we expect from Board members and the agencies they represent.
- Challenging each other on poor safeguarding children practice and celebrating best practice.
- Informing you about how effective the Board is and areas for development.
- Transparency in relation to resourcing and providing value for money.
As independent chair of the Board, it is my role to work closely with all LSCB partners including the Director of Children’s Services to help improve outcomes for children and promote the welfare of children within the local area.